A bridge-themed playground, swingset, green space, and a riverview path gives adventurous kids many options
Address: 365 W Locust St, Belvidere, IL 61008
Description: Located along the Kishwaukee River in Belvidere, IL, Doty Park features a medium-sized play structure with several different bridges, a second small play structure for toddlers, and a separate swing-set area.
Best for ages: 1-12
- Medium-sized play structure with several stair entrances
- Toddler play structure with stairs, Tic-Tac-Toe game and double slide
- Three different bridges: one that doesn’t move and two that bounce
- Five slides including one enclosed tube, one twisty, and one toddler-sized
- Twisted fireman poles
- Chain climbing structure
- Music section with chimes, bells, drums and a periscope to look at the river
- Two-way metal speakers for talking to someone in the playground
- Steering wheels at the top of a tower
- Rubber pathway inside the playground with woodchips surrounding the structures
- Separate swing area with normal sized swings, a baby swing and a swing for special needs children
- Two benches inside the playground
- Open field nearby for running or tag
- Nearby pavilion with picnic tables and grills
- Nearby river path
- Nearby sprayground
Sun protection: Some shade on the playground
Parking: Large lot that is shared with sprayground and Ice Arena (50+ spots)
Playground structure materials: Plastic, metal
Ground/surface materials: Wood chips and rubber paths
Fenced in? Y, decorative wooden fence
Slides? Y, five slides, four tall slides that include a twisty slide, an enclosed tube slide, and a toddler slide
Swings? Y, two normal size swings, one baby swing, and one swing for special needs children
Picnic tables, benches or other seating? Y, two benches in the playground and 5+ picnic tables in the pavilion
Walking path, sidewalk or bike path? Y, path in the playground, river walk path nearby as well
Stroller accessibility? Y
Bathrooms? Y, in nearby sprayground
Drinking fountain? Y, in nearby sprayground
Food and drink nearby? Y, Dari Ripple (105 S. State Street) and Sips and Sprinkles (221 W. Locust Street) are within walking distance of the park
What makes it special or worth visiting?
Doty Park is a colorful playground with a beautiful view of the Kishwaukee River. The multiple bridge play structure and periscope that faces the river are unique touches. If you play on the playground, run around the green space, and go to the sprayground, you could spend several hours here.
If you go, you may want to bring:
- Sunscreen and hats – Some areas of the playground are shaded, but some are not
- Swimsuits and towels – You’ll also want to visit the sprayground after it opens at 11:00 am.
- A packed lunch – There is a pavilion with picnic tables nearby
Note: The playground is close to a very long wooden bridge that crosses the river. If you walk across the bridge, it ends in a neighborhood.