A sprayground with mist tunnel, shooting jets of water, and spinning features keeps kids cool on hot summer days
2020 Update: While you are there, Belvidere Park District recommends that you maintain appropriate social distancing and wear a mask when you can’t. They have moved tables to be safely socially distant, and automated all the water features, so there is no need to press buttons, etc. They planned the re-opening with you and your family’s health and safety in mind. The water is not chlorinated, but is treated and filtered through the city’s system. The water is on for three minutes then turns off for one minute. It is also off for the last 15 minutes of each hour.
Address: 365 W Locust St, Belvidere, IL
Hours: 11:00 am – 8:00 pm
Description: Located in Belvidere, IL, Doty Sprayground is a free splash pad with fun water features that kids of all ages will enjoy. It shares a complex with Doty playground and the Riverside Ice Arena.
Best for ages: 1-12
- 10 – 12 ft. tall spraying features that kids can stand underneath
- 2 – 3 ft. tall spraying feature that kids can run around
- Tunnel with fine mist spray that kids can run through
- Spinning structure that sprays water and twists that kids can hang from and spin
- 8 fountains (holes) in the ground that spray at different strengths and at different times
- Flower water feature that showers kids standing below
- Circle sprayer that turns on and off randomly (2-3 kids can stand in the middle)
- Grass area inside the sprayground
- Garbage cans inside the sprayground
- Bathrooms and drinking fountains inside the sprayground
- Nearby field nearby for running or tag
- Nearby river path
- Nearby playground
Sun protection: No shade on the sprayground equipment, but there is a shaded pavilion with picnic benches within the fenced area
Parking: Large lot that is shared with playground and Ice Arena (50+ spots)
Playground structure materials: Plastic, metal
Ground/surface materials: Painted concrete with drains, slightly slippery when wet
Fenced in? Y, fully fenced in with chain link and a gate entrance/exit
Picnic tables, benches or other seating? Y, nine picnic tables beneath a pavilion and a grassy area to spread out towels and put portable folding chairs
Walking path, sidewalk or bike path? Y, sidewalk into the sprayground, clearance around the water features to the pavilion, and a river walk path nearby
Stroller accessibility? Y
Drinking fountain? Y
Food and drink nearby? Y, Dari Ripple (105 S. State Street) and Sips and Sprinkles (221 W. Locust Street) are within walking distance of the sprayground
What makes it special or worth visiting?
Doty Sprayground is a free fun water activity that doesn’t involve swimming so even the youngest kids can splash on the wet concrete. The water features are interactive and there’s plenty of room to run around. The attached bathrooms make it easy to change out of wet swimsuits before you leave. If you visit the nearby playground too, you could spend the whole day here.
If you go, you may want to bring:
- Swimsuits and towels – Kids will get wet!
- Water toys like squirt guns and buckets
- Change of clothes – There’s a bathroom to change in
- Portable chairs – In case the picnic tables are full
- Sunscreen and hats – The sprayground equipment is in full sun
- A packed lunch – There is a pavilion with picnic tables inside the fenced sprayground
**Note: The water turns off for a few minutes every 20 minutes or so. Go on a hot day because the water is very cold!