Stroll on State is held the weekend after Thanksgiving each year in downtown Rockford, Illinois. It is a fun way to celebrate the city, its people, and the upcoming holiday season with your family and friends.
Stroll on State isn’t just a celebration of all things holiday, it’s also an event to support our local small businesses downtown. This year, it’s more important than ever to shop local! Rockford businesses are ready to welcome you into their stores for Small Business Saturday which falls on the same day as Stroll on State.
While you’re attending Stroll on State, you can enjoy food and drinks from local vendors, listen to live holiday music, go ice skating, watch the tree lighting and fireworks, take a wagon ride, dance with princesses, see Santa Claus, and more. Head downtown to experience the magic of the holidays this year!
This is Stroll on State’s NINTH year. The event gets bigger and better each year. Stroll on State is FREE to attend!
Stroll on State organizers are working closely with the Winnebago County Health Department and the City of Rockford to ensure that Stroll on State is a safe event that complies with the current mandates.
Stroll on State is Saturday, November 27, 2021 from 2 pm – 9 pm
COVID Precautions for 2021
Stroll on State organizers are working hard to make the event safe during the pandemic. They’ve made the following changes for the 2021 event:
- A larger footprint for activities and attractions downtown
- Santa pop-up visits
- Indoor and outdoor Letters to Santa mailbox locations
- Facemasks required for all indoor locations
- Additional space between vendors and hand sanitizing stations throughout the event
New in 2021
Stroll on State grows every year and gets a little bit more festive and magical. Some of the exciting additions to this year’s festivities include:
- Later start and new location for the Dasher Dash 5K Run / Walk – This year, the race will start at noon and take place throughout the Stroll on State event area.
- Three tree lightings – Tree lightings will be held at Eddie Green Park, Davis Park, and N. Main Street and Mulberry during the event.
- New fireworks location – Fireworks will launch from the Jefferson Street bridge at 8 pm.
- Santa visits will not be in one place with a long line. Instead, they will take place throughout the event. Santa will walk around, do storytimes at the tree lightings, and ride a Zamboni.
- Blitzen’s Ball is a new dance party with princesses and characters inside Stewart Square.
Stroll on State Timeline
Stroll on State is a whole day packed with fun downtown! Here’s the Stroll on State 2021 schedule.
- 12 pm – Dasher Dash 5K
- 2 pm – Stroll on State Parade
- 5 pm – Tree lighting at Eddie Green Park (1st & State Street)
- 6 pm – Tree lighting at Davis Park
- 7 pm – Tree lighting at N. Main & Mulberry Street
- 8 pm – Fireworks launched from Jefferson Street Bridge
Dasher Dash 5K Run / Walk
The day starts off with the Dasher Dash, a 5K run through historic downtown Rockford at 12 pm. The course will cover new ground this year with runners traveling along E. State, Madison, and Wyman streets. Runners will get a sneak peek of the decorated downtown and finish the race at Davis Park where there will be a post-race party. Participants will receive a medal and shirt and prizes will be awarded to the top male, female, and age groups finishers. The race costs $35 to enter for adults and $20 for kids 12 and under. Registration closes on November 25th. Register here.
Stroll on State Parade
The Stroll on State parade starts at 2 pm from South Main Street and Chestnut Street. It will move north to State Street and east across the State Street bridge, ending at 3rd Street. If you’d like to watch the parade, you are encouraged to find a spot around 1 pm. The parade will feature eight large holiday-themed character balloons, festive floats, live music, and the arrival of Santa and Mrs. Claus.
Stroll on State Attractions and Activities
There are a ton of things happening from 2 pm – 9 pm downtown! This includes wagon rides, live music, ice skating, smores, shopping and more. All of the activities are free unless noted otherwise.
- Tree lighting ceremonies (3 locations) – The ceremonies include a holiday storytime reading, a visit from Santa, live music, and tree lighting.
- Fireworks will be launched from the Jefferson Street bridge at 8 pm. People will be able to see the fireworks from anywhere the bridge is visible.
- Santa visits – Santa will be walking around the event talking to kids, reading stories during the Christmas tree lighting ceremonies, and riding a Zamboni!
- Davis Park will have a tree lighting at 6 pm and hot chocolate, smores, fire pits, beverages, live music, reindeer, and a visit from Ana and Kristof.
- Horse and wagon rides will happen throughout the event. They will be walking in a continuous loop with pick up and drop off at the corner of Wyman and Elm.
- Letters to Santa can be written at several locations: City Hall, near the Davis Park city tree, and JS Social Cafe.
- Ice sculpting and Fire and Ice will be outside the Rockford Register Star building creating their awesome displays.
- Ice skating will take place at the BMO Harris Bank Center on the IceHog’s home rink! Ice skates are available free of charge. There will be street hockey and family-friendly activities in the parking lot of the BMO.
- Live music and performances will take place inside Veterans Memorial Hall and on many stages throughout the event.
- Blitzen’s Ball allows kids to dance with princesses and characters inside Stewart Square.
- Holiday markets with retail and food vendors including smores stations and grill masters.
Stroll on State Live Performances
Catch a live music or theater performance on three outdoor stages and two indoor stages while you’re strolling!
STAGE COLLABORATIVE PARTNERS
- Silver Bell Stage (Eddie Green Park: First and E State St.) – Hosted by the Coalition of Latino Leaders
Join us for an array of vibrant music, poetry reading, a DJ, local performers, tree lighting!
- Davis Park Stage – Hosted by City First Church
Visit this stage for acapella performances, classical holiday music, tree lighting and more!
- Jingle Bell Stage (Main & Mulberry) – Hosted by SOAR Radio & SOAR Assembly
Soar into the holidays by visiting this stage. This stage will host a Santa reading, tree lighting and performances by Soar Assembly.
- Nordlof Center – Nutcracker Vignettes performed by Rockford Dance Company & Project 815 Hip Hop
- Veterans Memorial Hall – Rockford Symphony Youth Orchestra (earlier in the day), and Epiphany (later in the day)
SILVER BELL STAGE SCHEDULE (EDDIE GREEN PARK: CORNER OF FIRST AND E STATE ST.)
- 2:00 – 3:00 WREX Parade Coverage
- 3:00 – 4:00 Pistol Pete
- 4:00 – 4:30 DJ Cachorro
- 4:30 – 4:40 Santa Reading
- 4:40 – 4:45 Rockford Poet Laurette – Christine Swanburg
- 4:45 – 5:00 Tito Cevallos
- 5:00 – 5:15 TREE LIGHTING
- 5:15 – 6:15 Tito Cevallos
- 6:15 – 6:45 DJ Cachorro
- 6:45 – 7:45 Denny Diamond
- 7:45 – 8:15 DJ Cachorro
- 8:15 – 9:00 Belle Musique
DAVIS PARK STAGE SCHEDULE
- 2:30 – 3:30 Kristina Puzin
- 4:00 – 5:00 Voices of Harlem
- 5:30 – 5:45 Santa Reading
- 6:00 – 6:15 TREE LIGHTING
- 6:15 – 7:15 City First Church
JINGLE BELL STAGE SCHEDULE
- 2:45 – 3:15 Marshall Elementary
- 3:30 – 4:00 FAB Dance & Fitness Company
- 4:30 – 6:00 Tim Schaffer
- 6:30 – 6:45 Santa Reading
- 6:45 – 7:00 SOAR Radio Hosts
- 7:00 – 7:15 TREE LIGHTING
- 7:15 – 8:10 SOAR Assembly
Stroll on State Vendors
Try something new or enjoy an old favorite! New vendors will be added up until the event.
Frosty’s Merry Market West Vendors:
Located at the parking lot on N. Main and Mulberry
- 815 Roasted Corn
- A Nu-You
- A Taste of Chicago
- Amanda Cherie’s Gifts
- Boutique Forshe
- By the Dozen Bakery Inc.
- Gina’s Famous Egg Rolls
- Ka-Bao! Food Truck
- La Calle Food Trucks (Churros)
- Life Decisions
- Litlady Books
- Mario’s Taco Express
- Mi Dulce Candy
- Pizza Fresca
- Savor BBQ Co.
- Taco ‘n Madres
- Teddy Mountain
- Teppan Xpress
- Twisted Color 360
Frosty’s Merry Market East Vendors:
Located at the Rockford City Market Pavilion
- Alta Clothing Boutique
- Angie’s Authentic Mexican Tamales
- Candy Cloud Company
- Downtown Fancy Frank’s
- Hermes Popcorn LLC
- Widow’s Jars
- La Calle Food Trucks (Churros)
- Lulu’s Roasted Corn
- Magpie (retail)
- Milestone Inc / Earthly Escapes
- Rigatooni Studios
- Roosevelt Community Education Center
- Sunshine and Sparkle Color Street
- TNC Cooking Creations
- Tacos Don Chato
- Thai Jasmine Rice & Noodles
- The Olive Branch
- The Taco Shop 815
- Tiny Treasure of 815
- TLK – Tita’s Local Kitchen
- TNT Funnel Cakes
- Usborne Books and More
- Wok n Roll by Bamboo
- You’re Bacon Me Crazy
Stroll on State Parking and Transportation
Downtown Rockford gets pretty busy during Stroll on State. They expect more than 90,000 people to attend this year. On-street parking, parking decks, and parking lots will be available. Here’s a map of places where you can park.
If you’d rather not deal with parking, you can take a shuttle bus. The first shuttle will leave at 1 pm and the last shuttle will be at 9:30 pm.
Shuttle bus locations:
- YMCA at 200 Y Blvd.
- Forest City Church, 1280 S. Alpine Road
- Third location TBA